Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Video killed the radio star



For some strange reason, I've decided to take on this blog project (soon to morph into a full-on site) right now, just as festival season gets started. So, in the spare moments when I'm not sending out press releases, hopping on planes, or helping to pull the Lord of the Universe and His siblings through North American city streets, I hope to be hammering away at my keyboard.

For now, just procrastinating (from working on my Festival of India presentation) by adding new components to the blog. Two exciting add-ons , courtesy of Google:
  • A newsreel that allows us to track the secular press online (I've got it keyed to ISKCON and Hare Krishna right now);
  • A viral video sidebar (currently featuring Kuli Mela clips).
I think the Kuli Mela video is especially great -- a lot of energy, honesty, and hope. In the first clip, a 2nd-gen genre-defying band (think Rage Against the Machine meets George Harrison meets Eminem meets Bengali drumming) rocks the stage. In the next couple of clips, an all-star panel (think GBC meets Bollywood) tackles the sticky questions surrounding the creation of community in ISKCON.

Of course, no video could do justice to what it felt like actually being there (if you make it through all the clips, you'll see that I was lucky enough to play some part)... but the footage from Rasa Films come awfully close. Check it out and let us know what you think.

More soon... for now, I better get back to planning that Festival presentation. Haribol!

ys,
VBD

PS: If there are features that you'd like to see on this blog, please let us know. Drop us a line at iskconcommunications@gmail.com.